Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Dove
For the Dove hunter that just can't find a recipe for dove. This one is nice if your are on a multiple-day dove hunt. This is a wonderful way to cook and enjoy fresh dove meat, and keep you within your posession
rules. Always a hit at the campsite, and I even make it while cooking out on the patio. You can use your patio fire pit
for this one. You will need to have a cooking grill for your fire pit.
- A batch of dove breast filets. ( 10 Doves makes 20 breast filets, unless Uncle John just had to use that semi-auto and in that case 10 dove might make a few less filets)
- Fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into 1/4" medallions.
- Lemon pepper
- 10 slices bacon. (I prefer pepper smoked thick cut)
- White vinegar
- Place the breast in a large bowl and coat them with 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1/4 cup lemon pepper. More is better in this case. Dove meat is naturally gamey and needs some masking.
- Toss breast and cover. Allow to marinade in fridge or on ice for a minimum of 2 hours. Re-toss for a minute or two every 30 minutes if possible.
- On a cutting board or large cookie sheet, lay a slice of bacon flat. Place 2 dove breast a slice of jalapeno on the bacon an roll it up. Stick a toothpick thru it to hold. Note: A wooden cutting board works really well because the bacon sticks to the wood and helps control the rolling up.
- Place directly on the grill. If your cooking grill has large spaces you may need to put a piece of foil down first. I am not a fan of foil on the grill, but it may help keep these lovely morsels from falling thru.
- Allow to cook until bacon is crisp. The crispier the better.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes and serve.
Submitted by: The FirePitBoss - Tucson, AZ